Sunday, February 3, 2013

Changes

Halló minn vinir,

Life updates. Let me lay 'em down for ya.

Things are somehow busier than before. Sometimes I fear burnout, but then I remember why I'm doing all these things and how much I just need to do all of it, and stop fearing it but accept that I am just one of those people who will never be happy without a lot to do. I put it all on myself, so I really have no reason to complain.

Despite adding things on that stress me out and give me more to do, things are good. I'm finally getting a little bit better from a terrible cold I've been fighting all week. My a capella group now has full vocal parts after a crazy audition process that took up a lot of the past 7 days. My band, Purple Hays, had its first performance on Thursday that went smashingly. My present keeps me occupied, but my future seems bright from here.

As many have asked, here's a basic rundown of my typical week, excluding performances and extra things.

Caitlin's typical week:

Mondays and Wednesdays:


7:15am-8:15am-- Yoga

10:30am-- Conducting

11:30am-- Music Theory

12:30pm-- Sax and double reeds (Right now I'm playing oboe.)

1:30-3:10pm- MIDI notation and sequencing

3:30-5:20pm-- Chorale/Choral Union (Yes, my schedule is screwy so I had to do it THIS year. Ugh)

5:30-7pm-- Jazz Choir

9:30-11:30pm-- Pitch, Please rehearsal


Tuesdays and Thursdays:

(Thursdays) 4-8am--Workin' at the desk

9:30am-- Music learning and development

11am-- Earl of Squirrels (Aural Skills)

12pm-- String Skills (I play double bass in there, then violin later in the semester)

1:30pm-- Big band or lesson

3:30pm-- Either composition departmental or lesson (Thursdays, convo)

(Tuesdays) 6pm-- Lesson if I didn't have lessons during the above times

Thursdays 4:30--Jazz piano

Thursdays at 5:45ish-- Cello lessons

Thursdays at 7-- Purple Hays rehearsal

On Fridays, go ahead and remove conducting and MIDI, add in some extra stuff in the morning (such as possible voice lessons--stay tuned) and there you have it. My crazy schedule.

Yes, you did see three possible lesson times. I have to text Dr. Lee to let him know what my schedule is like the day of, and we decide on lesson times that way. As a result, he booked me for three lesson times.

I know this looks absolutely nuts... And it kind of is. But I honestly don't know how to live my life any other way. All I know is that one day, I want to make a living through music. And even though all of this keeps me extremely busy, I know that everything I'm doing will help me get to that point.

I added all these extra lessons on top of what I'm already doing, and will be adding voice lessons, because I am definitely plateauing with what my natural instinct can take me to. Especially voice. I've been very lucky so far, but need to improve my technique or I will not be able to sing forever like I want to. Not taking lessons at this point is doing me no favors, and learning these instruments is something that is important to me, and I realized I needed to stop putting all of it off.

That's about it!

Song of the day:

My Body by Young the Giant. It's a good one, and that chorus seems REEEEALLY fitting right about now.

Cheers,
Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment