Sunday, October 7, 2012

Life.

Hey everyone!

I'm alive! I've just been really really busy and doing a poor job of keeping people updated on things.

Let's walk through a typical day in the life of Caitlin Gilmore, so you can see how it is just NOT my fault that I haven't been posting anything at all lately...

My days/classes:

8:40am- Wake up, take a shower

9:30am- Class starts (either practicum on MWF or Keyboard Skills T/R)

11:30- Music Theory or Aural Skills

12:30- Flute/Clarinet skills or Digital Audio Recording

1:30- University Singers or Big Band

3:30(TR)- Studio until 4:30 every other week, lesson with Dr. Lee on the off week. Thursdays, Convocation at 3:30.

4:30 (MW)- Jazz Choir

5:30 (Every other Tuesday)- My lesson on the weeks I have studio.

I get done with class sometime between 6-6:30, either grab dinner (or don't) and either watch a faculty concert for convocation credit around 7:30pm, or practice flute/piano/saxophone for an hour or two.

And no, I do not have a single class outside of Westbrook Music Building this semester, and probably won't at all this year.

Get home sometime between 8pm-10pm. Eat dinner (since I usually don't have time to get dinner, and only have room in my lunchbox to pack lunch since I obviously don't have a lunch break there...)

Do homework/compose until 2am on a good night, but usually until 3am or later.

Do it all again.




Also, I'm helping start up a Co-Ed a capella group with a few of my buddies, so hopefully that gets off the ground and running. Rehearsals for that will probably be around 9pm.

Plus, I'm holding down a job. I actually enjoy it, especially the 4-8am shifts since it's just paid, uninterrupted homework time. Nobody ever comes down around then, so usually, I just get paid to sit at the desk and maybe say hello to 1 or 2 people. I work Monday mornings and every other Friday and Saturday. Sometimes I pick up extra shifts, but not usually because I'm already on the edge of overloading myself about 99% of the time.

As far as composing, I don't get to spend as much time doing that as I'd like to, but, I'm hoping I'll have time to just get ahead on everything and actually be productive during fall break... Even though that's always very difficult when I'm at home.

For those of you who keep asking, "Where are you finding all the motivation?" I keep telling myself "Get certified in all the things you can, because UNL is paying for most of it and it makes you more attractive for jobs and Grad school!" When that doesn't work, I use the standard "You can sleep when you're dead." Those have been my mantras to get me through everything the past few weeks.

So yeah. It's safe to say that I've been keeping pretty busy. I don't sleep much, and I'm usually fairly stressed out, but if I wasn't, I'd be doing something wrong as a music major. As awful as my schedule looks, I'm still extremely happy that I get to be doing what I love, and not paying UNL extravagant amounts of money to do so. I'm either in the right place or need to be institutionalized for being super overworked and still somehow enjoying myself, so I'm really hoping it's the former.

Also, for a person who never really liked coffee all that much, sophomore year of college has changed me. I'm slowly but steadily getting more addicted... I used to drink coffee maybe once a month, now it's closer to once a week. I know it still isn't that much by a lot of people's standards, but for someone with a low caffeine tolerance, it's making me sad that I actually think of coffee a lot, and would have it every day if I had time to get it.

Well, those are all the interesting things going on right now, I believe!

Song of the day:
Take a Walk by Passion Pit. It pumps me up when I need a nice little energy boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZX6Q-Bj_xg

With love,
Gilmore






No comments:

Post a Comment