Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lions and Tigers and... Blogs. Oh my.

Hi friends,
My Labor Day weekend has thus far, unfortunately, consisted of plenty of labor on my part. I suppose this comes with the territory of being a college student, but after a good 12 hours of homework that I'm still not finished with, I believe I have a right to whine slightly. Fortunately, I've had my good ol' sassy friend Steven to keep me company through this incredibly long Sunday. I'm going to be enjoying a movie marathon tomorrow, so hopefully that helps take some of the stress away, especially from my rather depressing Agriscience class.

As you can probably tell from the fact that there are no other posts prior to this one, this is my first post on this blog. Or any blog. I am, in fact, a blogging virgin. I don't find myself horribly interesting, but a few people (i.e. Brandon and his "Caitlin Watching Club"), seem to, so I figured that it would be a pretty good idea. I already thought myself a slight narcissist for having a Facebook account, and I've yet to have a Twitter or a Tumblr. But here I am, writing this blog in the hopes that someone will read what I have to say.

Oh, by the way, my sassy friend Steven says hi.

Alright, so, a bit about myself for those of you who don't know me that well, or who do and have nothing better to do than read this: I go by Caitlin (No variations such as Kate or Katie) or Gilmore. No, I am NOT related to the popular television show, The Gilmore Girls. I'm at the rather majestic height of 5 feet and 1 inch, have brown curly hair, green eyes... Yadayada. I'm half Chinese on my mom's side of the family, and Irish/Czech on my dad's side. Ever since I've started college at the fine institution of University of Nebraska-Lincoln, I've developed an affinity for macaroni that didn't exist prior to starting school here. I'm double majoring in Music Composition and Pre-Vet. Why, might you ask? Because I'm crazy and overly ambitious. That, and:
1) It's free.
2) The second one is so I won't go broke if the whole music thing flops. It's a pretty damn competitive business, in case you haven't noticed.
3) I also plan on taking a year or two off between college and grad school, maybe doing the whole waiting tables/starving musician thing, and seeing if I'm good/lucky enough to make it as a composer or performer in the real world. If it doesn't work out, whatever, I'll get my vet degree, but you won't catch me supersizing your fries after I'm through with the education system. Sorry.

I've noticed that my writing style tends to be a bit dry, and I'll inform you now that although this is sometimes the case with my sense of humor, I'm actually a rather cheery person. Even though getting up really early in the morning for marching band might threaten that happy disposition of mine if I'm forced to function on too little sleep.

Let's see, I'm also quite the grammar and spelling nerd, and I SWEAR nothing makes me more irritated when browsing through Facebook than seeing how people always manage to spell the word "definitely" with an 'a' in it. Drives me absolutely bonkers. If you are one of those people, stop it. Seriously.

I have quite a large collection of pet peeves and odd fears, and I'm sure you'll hear me complaining about them in later posts. But there is one that I find rather important: I absolutely detest anything going near my eyeballs. Or other peoples' eyeballs. You may think I'm kidding, but a lot of people can tell you that I am, in fact, afraid of wearing eyeliner because of it. Yeah. Go ahead and laugh, but when it pokes your eye out, you'll be sorry for your vanity then, ladies. Also, I can't watch other people put their contacts in. Which is why I'm extremely grateful for the fact that I have no vision problems of my own, but don't be surprised to see me wearing fake glasses anyway.

Another thing, I don't have very many female friends. I've never really liked other girls all that much. I have 5 girls in my life that I'm close to. That's it. I prefer spending my time with the opposite sex because,
1) They, like myself, are usually terrible at holding grudges.
2) They don't take as many things personally.
3) They're more honest. You usually don't have to go through layers of body language, hidden meanings, and other pointless things to figure out what they actually mean.

Just a little more, then I'm done with this post, I promise. Another 25 pages of AgriScience gloom and doom beckon my name.

I find that I'm a slightly older soul than some of the people my age. I have many quirks, and many flaws, and a handful of good attributes. Ella Fitzgerald is my superhero. I'm rather happy with my life right now, despite all the homework and early mornings that seem to be a part of it.

So that's it for now, my Spidey senses tell me that you're probably a bit bored with this post, thanks to its long length, and I'm thankful to those of you who stuck it out this far.

With love,
Gilmore

No comments:

Post a Comment